Seeking an opportunity to use my energy, enthusiasm and communication skills to help a progressive organisation
Bachelor of Arts English major (3.7 GPA). Massey University, New Zealand. 2014.
Writing and communication papers include:
Feature Writing, Health Writing, Advanced Creative Writing, Life Writing, Speech Writing, Travel Writing, Editing & Publishing, Investigative Journalism, Professional & E-Business Writing, Business Communication.
Sports Massage Therapy Diploma (Distinction). London School of Sports Massage.
Montessori Early Years Education Diploma (Distinction). London School of Modern Montessori.
Cambridge GCSE ‘A’ levels: English (A), History (B), French (B). Goffs Grammar School, Hertfordshire, UK.
Volunteer Pin badge fundraiser, Norfolk. Part-time.December 2017-present. RSPB, Eastern England.
Volunteer Little Tern Warden. Part-time.June2017-August 2017. RSPB, East Norfolk.
Freelance Writer. 2015-present. Home-based for
Website: www.tracybrightenwriter.com Blog: www.natureinmind.net
FiverrPro:www.fiverr.com/tracy_brighten Contributor: Medium
FB: https://www.facebook.com/natureinmind/ Twitter: @TracyBrighten1
Return to UK, 2016.
Chocolate Shop/Café Co-owner and Co-manager. Full-time. March 2010-May 2016.
Theobroma Chocolate Lounge, Palmerston North, New Zealand.
University Student. Part-time. 2008-2012. Full-time. Feb 2013-Nov 2014.
Contract Computer Analyst /Programmer. Part-time. 2005-2006.
Progressive Enterprises Ltd., Auckland, New Zealand.
Emigration to New Zealand, 2004.
Assignment Marker. Part-time. 2003.
London School of Sports Massage, UK.
Sports & Remedial Massage Therapist. Full-time. 2001-2003.
Self-employed, Bedfordshire, UK.
Contract Computer Analyst/Programmer. Part-time. 1998-1999.
Computer Corporation of America, Slough, Berkshire, UK.
Montessori Early Years Education Assistant. Part-time. 1993-1994.
Little Cheverells Montessori, Markyate, Hertfordshire, UK.
Volunteer Young Athletes Coach. 2001-2003.
Bedford Athletics Club, Bedfordshire, UK.
Volunteer Parent Fundraiser. 1995-1999.
Firs Lower School Parent Teachers Association, Bedfordshire, UK.
Contract Computer Analyst/Programmer. Full-time. 1987-1990.
Thames Television. Reuters. Shell Oil, UK.
Computer Analyst/Programmer. Full-time. 1980-1987.
Thomson Holidays. United Dominions Trust. Tesco Stores PLC, UK.
Fish Publishing Short Memoir Prize 2016: short-listed with ‘Happy as a Pig’.
Massey Extramural Scholarship recipient, 2014.
Massey Top Extramural Student in Business Communication, 2014.
Massey Certificate of Excellence in Extramural Professional & E-Business Writing, 2014.
Massey Top Extramural Student in Investigative Reporting, 2013.
Massey Top Extramural Student in Speech Writing, 2013.
Massey Pro-chancellor’s Extramural Speech Writing Award, 2013.
British Masters Athletics Federation Track & Field Championships, 2000: W35 400m winner.
Member of Great Britain athletics team (4x400m relay), 1984 Olympic Games, Los Angeles.
Written Communication Experience
- News and feature writing. Researching and writing on health, nature, education, and sustainable living
- Blogging. News, features, personal essays and opinion posts for clients, my blog and Medium
- Science writing. Communicating scientific research in clear, concise, easy-to-understand language
- Creative writing. Short stories and poetry
- Creative non-fiction. Travel, health and wildlife stories, speeches, and memoir
- Academic writing. Expository, analytical and argumentative essays
- Business writing. E-mails, memos, letters
- Revising, editing & proofreading. Editing client projects for relevance, clarity
andaccuracy. Proofreading son’s university Honours thesis and daughter’s Master’s thesis
- Social media. Facebook and Twitter posts related to wildlife, animal welfare, and health stories and news
- Digital marketing. Using SEO, content marketing, and social media marketing to promote my writing and editing business
- Forum discussion. Online forum posts using language and tone for effective communication
- E-mail. External communication with café franchisor, retail
centremanagement, suppliers and customers in café management role. Internal communication with café staff members
- Work plans. Business plan, study plans, I.T. system test plans, massage treatment plans
Oral Communication Experience
- Customer service. Engage in friendly, attentive and respectful communication. Accept feedback and find acceptable solutions and improvements. Aim to exceed client expectations.
- Franchise inspection. Listen to inspection feedback and effectively communicate operational issues
- Staff performance. Praise staff members as appropriate, correcting poor performance privately
- Sports massage treatment. Inform client of problem, treatment and rehabilitation with sensitivity and clarity
- News and features for news websites. Research on health, nature, education and animal welfare
- Blog posts and long-form articles for clients. Research on health, green living and education
- Undergraduate study. Research on English literature, Western philosophy, wildlife conservation and mental health. Synthesise large volumes of information into a coherent summary with accurate referencing
- Immigration to NZ. Extensive online research on immigration requirements including visas, health, MAFF regulations, as well as where to live in Auckland based on schooling, employment and facilities
- House build. Sourcing products related to kitchen, bathrooms and landscaping
- Franchise business purchase. Research the franchise process as well as individual franchises
Business & Management Experience
- Problem solving. Resolve customer queries, product damage, franchisor and staff performance issues, looking for positive and co-operative solutions for a win-win result. Massage client diagnosis/ treatment plan
- Planning & organising. Plan food menu, new products, weekly specials, stock rotation, ordering
- Recruiting & training. Arrange job advertisements, interviews, trials, training
- Rostering. Plan for staff, public, and school holidays, and local events that affect trade
- Merchandising. Source, price and display products, with attention to seasonal demands
- Marketing. Promote new café products, specials and seasonal products in-store and on Facebook. Promote blog posts and related news on Facebook and Twitter
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word to create documents such as letters, reports
- Familiar with Excel to create spreadsheets for retail product prices, work plans
- Proficient in the use of search engines for research purposes
- Understand computer programming processes, including logic, coding